Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Starting out...

Let me introduce myself. I am Vern Groves and I pastor a church in a small rural community in the northeast United States. I have wanted to have a format where I can offer something to the improvement of our culture and our world. Also I have wanted to somehow give some of God's perspective on things. And so, I am beginning a blog to, in part, do that.

This blog is beginning with assistance from the ancient book of the Hebrews known as the book of Proverbs. Proverbs was written by King David's Son, Solomon. And Solomon desired one thing from God: "wisdom and knowledge" for the purpose of governing God's people (2nd Chronicles 1:11ff). How did God respond to this request? He gave Solomon the wisdom and knowledge he requested but some other things -- as a bonus: money, wealth and fame.

It seems to me that today there is a lot of energy and time spent on pursuing what God gave as a bonus to Solomon: $, wealth and fame. And yet so many haven't pursued what God deemed as of primary of importance. So many aren't asking God for wisdom and knowledge. And I've discovered that I have not because I ask not. Or I ask with wrong motives.

One last note for today. The book of Proverbs is not only for the 'simple' but it is also for those who already consider themselves 'wise'. It is for anyone who realizes that he has to continue growing and maturing. That sounds like a lifetime to me. Are you one of those who desires to continue growing and maturing?


No comments:

Post a Comment